Here in Victoria, some of the most common activities people are training for are cycling, running, hiking, rowing, and skiing.
And while working out in the great outdoors definitely has its perks, there are many advantages to working out at the gym—particularly during the winter months. (We may not get as much snow as Vancouver, but it’s still cold!)
But if you’re new to the gym in Victoria, it can be a little intimidating. There are so many machines and weights, and everyone seems to know what they’re doing. But don’t worry! The staff at the gym are always happy to help you get started on your fitness journey.
If you’re thinking about signing up for a gym membership, or if you’re already a member but want to make sure you’re getting the most from your membership that you can, here are some tips to help you get the most out of the gym:
- Set realistic fitness goals. It’s important to set realistic goals for yourself so that you don’t get discouraged. If you’re just starting out, it’s probably not realistic to expect to lose 20 pounds in a month. But if you set a goal to lose 2-3 pounds per week, you’ll be more likely to stick with it.
- Find a workout buddy. Having someone to work out with can make the gym experience and training more fun and motivating. It’s also helpful to have someone to hold you accountable—if you know someone is counting on you to show up for your workout, you’re more likely to do it.
- Make a training schedule. If you can, try to make a schedule of when you’ll go to the gym and what workouts you’ll do. This will help you stay on track and make the most of your time.
- Dress for success. Wear clothes that are comfortable and make you feel good about yourself. This will help you feel more confident and motivated to work out.
- Be patient. It takes time to see results, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t see a change right away. Keep at it, and eventually you
- Take advantage of the classes offered. Some gyms offer personal 1-on-1 training as well as group fitness classes. Group fitness training can be a great way to mix up your workout routine—and meet new people in Victoria who are also into working out.
With these tips in mind, you’re well on the right path to getting the most out of your gym membership. But there are a few other important things to remember when you’re working out:
Make sure that you’re not overtraining.
This can lead to injuries and it can also make you feel very sore the next day. Make sure that you warm up properly before you start your workout and cool down afterward.
Use the equipment wisely.
Many people make the mistake of training using too much weight or doing too many reps on the machines. This can lead to injury, so it’s important to use the equipment wisely. If you’re not sure how to use a machine, ask a staff member for help.
Focus on using the right form when you are working out.
This means that you should not be swinging the weights or using momentum to lift them. If you use proper form, you will get a better workout and you will be less likely to hurt yourself.
Listen to your body.
If you feel pain or discomfort during your workout, stop what you are doing and rest. It’s important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard. Take breaks when you need to and make sure that you are keeping well hydrated.
Lastly—never be afraid to ask for help.
If you’re not sure how to do an exercise or you need some advice, don’t be afraid to ask the gym staff for help. They are there to assist you and make sure that you have a safe and enjoyable workout. A certified trainer/coach can even help you develop a workout routine that is tailored to your specific goals.
Now that you know some tips for making the most of your gym membership in Victoria, get to the gym and enjoy your workout! And don’t forget—have fun and stay healthy!